Learning to eat healthily and taking care of our body is something that we must do from childhood, because, once acquired, bad habits are very difficult to change. Can you learn to eat healthily? Of course! But it is a learning that must come from the example itself. Both at home and in schools, children should check that the advice and guidelines they are taught match the practices followed by the adults around them.
Here are some basic tips to teach the little ones, and also to put them into practice:
- Choose a varied diet: Combine foods from different groups every day to ensure the consumption of all the necessary nutrients.
- Make 5 meals a day: The food throughout the day should be distributed in at least 3 takes, although the ideal is to get to 5. Give breakfast the importance it deserves and takes a light dinner. And avoid snacking between meals!
- The cereals, the staple food: This is a poor food in fat and rich in fiber, minerals, and vitamins. They are composed primarily of carbohydrates, which are the main source of energy in our body.
- Fruits and vegetables: Eat at least 5 pieces of fruit and vegetables every day; They are rich in antioxidants, fiber, minerals, and vitamins. Choose fruits and vegetables in season: they are cheaper and have matured naturally. And remember, of the variety is the secret!
- Moderates fats: Fats are essential nutrients in the diet, but their consumption should be moderate. Prioritizes the consumption of oils of vegetable origin, preferably virgin olive oil.
- There are no bad foods: You will not get anything by forbidding the little ones to eat certain foods. The important thing is not to promote bad eating habits and abuse certain foods (precooked foods or fast food). Respect the guidelines of the food pyramids!
- Water is basic and necessary: Maintaining adequate hydration is essential if we want to maintain physical and mental health. As a guideline, it is recommended that each person drink 1.5 to 2 liters a day.
- Enjoy the food: Turn the time of the meal into a moment to enjoy with the family, sit down together and tell how the day has gone! In addition, it is important to eat with television and other electronic devices turned off, and try to chew slowly and enjoying the food.
- Exercise: Perform at least 30 minutes of daily physical activity. It is also convenient to reduce the time we spend on sedentary tasks or activities, such as being in front of the computer or the television.
- Prepare as a family the weekly menu: This way you will take to the market the list of the prepared purchase and there will be no whims of last minute. Choose organic foods and proximity … your body and the taste of your recipes will notice!